Dehydrators are great kitchen appliances; they enable you to eat healthy, store food longer and have snacks on hand at all times. They even use less energy than most other kitchen appliances. The only problem is trying to decide which one is for you. The two most popular brands are Sedona and the Excalibur.
While they do have some similarities, they have some pretty notable differences too. The smart thing to do is look at them side by side so that you can clearly see which one will work for your needs. After all, an informed decision is a smart decision.
You will find that both devices will allow you to decide between either plastic or metal trays. Neither have add-on features, which means that if you need more trays, you will have to get a different dehydrator.
Both have models that have two-stage timers that allow you to set the temperature for a set time, and then it automatically switches to another temperature for another set time.
You will also find that they have similar sizes. Both are relatively easy to clean and require very little maintenance. The wattage is similar and both are very energy efficient.
The major differences
The Sedona and the Excalibur have timers, but the Sedona has a max timer of 99 hours where are the Excalibur’s maxes out at 26 hours.
The Sedona gives you the ability to set two separate fans with two different settings. You can choose to turn it off for some trays. It allows you to dehydrate different foods at different temperatures. The Sedona offers you more model choices with a variety of capacities and drying space.
The Sedona pros and cons
The Sedona offers many different models that offer a variety of features. Some of them you won’t find in any other brand. Take a look at some of these other great pros.
- The shelving is preinstalled so that they are perfectly spaced
- Set-up is easy and drama free
- The clear glass door makes it easy to see the food inside
- The digital display is easy to read and easy to work
- The inside light is just right for seeing the food on the inside
As with all good, there also has to have some bad, so here are the cons.
- It works great with drier foods, like greens and bananas, but on foods with a higher water content, you aren’t going to get much more than chewy. No matter how hard you try the food doesn’t get crisp
- The trays are hard to clean because it is hard to reach the back
- There is a lot of room for user error, and if you don’t get an even slice, you don’t get an even heat distribution
- The metal trays can cause some issues with the heat distribution
- The Sedonas work on a higher wattage than the Excalibur models
The Excalibur pros and cons
The Excalibur is also a top-of-the-line food dehydrator. It is known its ease of use and functionality. They set perfectly on virtually any countertop, slide into any cabinet for easy storage, and wipe down easily. Some other great pros are:
- The tray inserts come out for easy cleaning
- They run on a lower wattage for less energy consumption
- Your dehydrated food gets crisper in a less amount of time
- Digital displays are coupled with easy-touch controls for fool-proof timing
- The user manual is easy to read
- They have models that are perfect for farmers or large families who like to buy in bulk
- Many style options are available so that you can find one that fits what you are looking for
Now that you have the good, you need to know the bad.
- This is a loud machine
- The outside temperature and humidity definitely affect its ability to dehydrate food.
- It does not have dual fans
- It does not have as many selections as the Sedona
Now that you have seen the differences between the two top-of-the-line, and highly rated, dehydrators, you understand what the difference is between the two. The biggest thing to remember is that they are both great dehydrators that offer many different models within the make. This guide is just that, it is a guide.
The thing to do is to write down exactly what you want. Then you can see which models offer which features. When you know what is important to you, it is easier to see exactly which dehydrator is best for you.
The Excalibur has legendary features that seem to offer everything that you need in a dehydrator. It is easy to find the exact model that will fit nicely on your countertop. Whether you are a family of one or a household or ten, it is easy to find a dehydrator that will hold up.
The Sedonas offer many more model size options. The problem is that reviewers seem to have a problem with even temperature in the metal tray models. The Sedona models are also harder to clean than most people prefer.
Now that you have a good idea of all the facts that come with both makes of dehydrators, you can check out the individual models of each manufacturer. You will find plenty of websites that can give you an in-depth of review of each model.
You will love the dehydrator that you do choose if you go into the process armed with enough knowledge to make an educated choice.
Make sure that while you are researching all the great models, go ahead and check out all the incredible recipes that you can make in a dehydrator.
The delicious recipes that come with the dehydrators are enough to make your mouth water and make you want to go out and get a dehydrator. No matter your reasons, you will never regret the decision to own one.